Electrical Fire Safety
Overloaded Electrical Circuit Safety Tips
Electrical circuits can become dangerous when overloaded. Though it may be easy to simply plug in another power strip or extension cord when adding equipment, the wiring in some buildings often isn't capable of supporting too many high powered electronics. Older office buildings and homes, in particular, often suffer from lack of electrical outlets.
Overloaded electrical circuits are a major cause of residential fires. Help lower your risk of electrical fires by learning the warning signs and not overloading your electrical system.
Overloaded circuit warning signs:
- Flickering, blinking, or dimming lights
- Frequently tripped circuit breakers or blown fuses
- Warm or discolored wall plates
- Cracking, sizzling, or buzzing from receptacles
- Burning odor coming from receptacles or wall switches
- Mild shock or tingle from appliances, receptacles, or switches
How to prevent electrical overloads:
- Never use extension cords or multi-outlet converters for appliances
- All major appliances should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Only plug one heat producing appliance into a receptacle outlet at a time
- A heavy reliance on extension cords is an indication that you have too few outlets to address your needs. Have a qualified electrician inspect your home and add new outlets
- Power strips only add additional outlets; they do not change the amount of power being received from the outlet
If fire damage has impacted your home or business, please call SERVPRO of South Columbus at 614-863-1392. Let our professional team do the cleanup with the proper procedures to keep you, your home or company safe.